About Atlanta Humane Society
Atlanta Humane Society (AHS) is a 501(c)3 tax exempt nonprofit (IRS Tax ID# 58-0685900) and one of the oldest private charitable organizations in Atlanta, founded in 1873 as a result of an earlier visit to the city by Robert E. Lee. The animal charity was originally chartered to protect women, children, and animals and remained a child protection and animal welfare society for 79 years. AHS, now a widely recognized pet adoption center, vet center, and educational program provider, was originally located on Marietta Street and moved to its present location at 981 Howell Mill Road in the 1930s. The Alpharetta campus at 1565 Mansell Road was opened in 2011.
Atlanta Humane Society serves about 25,000 animals each year, and places approximately 8,000 dogs and cats into forever homes. AHS is committed to finding homes for all adoptable pets. We do not euthanize adoptable animals, and there are no time limits for the animals once they are in our care. We only humanely euthanize those animals suffering from significant medical issues or that pose behavior concerns. We are proud to be a part of the solution to ending pet homelessness and overpopulation in the southeastern United States.
ATLANTA HUMANE SOCIETY VALUES TRANSPARENCY
To view our 2015 Annual Report, please click here.
To view our 2015 IRS 990 Statement, please click here.
To view our 2015 Financial Statements, please click here.
ATLANTA HUMANE SOCIETY MISSION AND VISION
The mission of the Atlanta Humane Society is to improve animal welfare in the southeastern United States by providing quality animal services including preventative initiatives, education, advocacy and adoption of animals into permanent loving homes.
The vision of the Atlanta Humane Society is to be the premier leader and organizational resource for the welfare and protection of companion animals in the southeastern United States.
- We are good stewards of the resources entrusted to our care.
- We have the courage and integrity to do the right thing on behalf of animals
- We have a heart of compassion for animals, people and the community.
- We strive to work collaboratively, value diversity and build strong relationships among all stakeholders
- We provide exceptional service to all.
- We operate with integrity, transparency and the highest ethical standards.
- We commit to the pursuit of growth and learning.
- We embrace and drive change!