Atlanta Humane Society Do It Yourself (DIY) Fundraising
FAQs & Fundraising Tips
Do It Yourself fundraising is an exciting way for you to make an impact and help the animals at Atlanta Humane Society (AHS). Hosting your own fundraiser can be as simple as having a bake sale or lemonade sale or as exciting as hosting a concert, golf tournament or other big event. The key is to find an event or activity that you are passionate about and that you think your friends, family and colleagues will support.
What type of fundraiser can I create?
- Anything you’d like! Try to find a fundraising event type that will not directly compete with other successful and long-standing benefit events in your area. Here’s some suggestions to get started:
- Sports – Participate in a 5K or host your own fun run!
- Birthdays – Donate your birthday to the cause and ask for donations.
- Holidays/Special Occasions – Ask for donations in lieu of gifts for holidays or special occasions such as a wedding or baby shower.
How do I get started?
- Click register (link to registration page) to begin your Do It Yourself fundraiser. You will receive your own personal page and tools to help you maximize your success.
What steps should I take to maximize donations?
- Go first: Make a donation to your page. Others are more inclined to give when they see that you are dedicated to the cause.
- Get personal: Add a photo and share your story on why you are raising funds for AHS. By telling your story, your friends and family will feel more connected to the cause.
- Send emails: Use the tools to send emails to your network of contacts, telling them why you are raising funds for our organization and make the ask for donations.
- Get social: Let all of your friends and followers know that you are raising money and share why the cause is important to you.
- Follow up: Did you know that it
takes on average 3 asks to result in one gift? Once you have received a
donation, don’t forget to thank your donor.
How do I spread the word about my fundraiser?
- There are tools within the participant center that will assist you in emailing your contacts to announce your event and ask for donations.
- Consider sending a “Save the Date” for physical events.
- Use your social media networks to
drive people to your fundraising page. Create an event on Facebook
on invite all of your friends and Tweet about your campaign.
How do I send in the money collected at my event?
- Mail your donations within 30
days of your event to:
Atlanta Humane Society
1565 Mansell Road
Alpharetta, GA 30009
Please make checks payable to Atlanta Humane Society and add the fundraiser's first and last name in the check memo line.
Are donations tax-deductible?
- Any contribution to the charity qualifies as a deduction under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code. Payments made to the third party fundraiser to cover expenses are not tax-deductible. Difficulty could arise when an independent, outside organization wishes to raise money for our organization. If the payments are made to this independent organization, and it is not a qualified organization, the payments will not be deductible for income tax purposes. If the payments are made to our organization, then they qualify – to the extent by law.
Do you impose any guidelines for the fundraiser?
- We reserve the right to decline association with any activities or third-party fundraisers if we believe the activity may have a negative effect on our reputation.
- All events must comply with federal, state and local laws, including fundraising rules and regulations.
- The activity will be promoted and conducted in a manner to avoid the appearance of our organization endorsing any product, firm, organization, individual or service.
- Our official organization logo
should be appropriately used in conjunction with such an activity, but
may not be altered in any way.
Who should I contact if I need more information?
- If you have any questions about creating your own DIY site, please contact Wendy Hsiao at WHsiao@atlantahumane.org.